Research Associate at the DMAC Lab, Department of Computer Science, University of Cyprus, leading the Human-centered Computing Group.
I completed my PhD in December 2015 at the Department of Computer Science, University of Cyprus under the supervision of Professor George Samaras.
My research interests include Cyber Security with focus on Usable Security, User Authentication, Human Interaction Proofs, Password Managers, Security in Mixed Reality, User Experience, Eye-tracking, User Modeling, Personalization, Cognition.
- I am very happy for Argyris Constantinides first regular paper at ACM SIGCHI UMAP 2018 related to his Ph.D. work. The paper is entitled "On cultural-centered graphical passwords: Leveraging on users’ cultural experiences for improving password memorability" [April 2018]
- Full paper accepted at ACM SIGCHI 2018, entitled "Influences of Human Cognition and Visual Behavior on Password Security during Picture Password Composition" [Dec. 2017]
- Paper accepted for inclusion in the ACM SIGCHI IUI 2018 Papers' Programme, entitled "Eye Gaze-driven Prediction of Cognitive Differences during Graphical Password Composition" [Dec. 2017]
- New research paper published at ACM Web Intelligence on balancing security and usability in intelligent graphical password schemes (ACM WI 2017) [August 2017]
- I am happy for our new research outcomes at Cognitive UX GmbH. Three new research papers; paper on transparently modeling human cognitive styles through eye gaze data (ACM UMAP 2017); paper investigating the interplay among human cognitive factors, technology and user authentication (Elsevier CHB); and paper examining the effects of human cognitive strategies on graphical password composition (ACM CHI 2017) [May 2017]
- I am co-organizing the workshop on Human Aspects in Adaptive and Personalized Interactive Environments (HAAPIE 2016) at ACM UMAP 2016, July 16, 2016, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, with Panagiotis Germanakos, George Samaras and Vania Dimitrova [July 2016]
- I successfully defended my PhD thesis (UCY Library) on December 14, 2015 [December 2015]
- I am happy to receive a Horizon 2020 Seal of Excellence in the Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions call H2020-MSCA-IF-2016
for a high-quality project proposal in a highly competitive evaluation process. The project is entitled CogniPass – Cognition-based Personalised Authentication SchemeS
- My Ph.D. thesis went through the finals (top 10) of the ERCIM - 2016 Cor Baayen Young Researcher Competition. Congratulations to the award recipient and other finalists [November 2016]
- Best Paper Nomination and Honourable Mention at UMAP 2014 (top 3%), entitled "A Personalisation Method based on Human Factors for Improving Usability of User Authentication Tasks" [July 2014]
- Our paper "Towards the Personalization of CAPTCHA Mechanisms based on Individual Differences in Cognitive Processing" received the Best Paper Award at Springer SouthCHI 2013 [July 2013]
- Deutsches Patent- und Markenamt (German Patent & Trade Mark Office): Methode und vorrichtung zur flexiblen benutzerauthentifizierung basierend auf individuellen menschlichen kognitiven eigenschaften (Method and apparatus for flexible user authentication based on individual human cognitive characteristics) – patent pending
- Elsevier CHB
- Belk M., Fidas C., Germanakos P., Samaras G. (2017) The interplay between humans, technology and user authentication: a cognitive processing perspective, Computers in Human Behavior (CHB), 184-200, Elsevier
- Elsevier IJHCS
- Belk M., Fidas C., Germanakos P., Samaras G. (2015) Do human cognitive differences in information processing affect preference and performance of captcha?, International Journal of Human - Computer Studies (IJHCS), 84, 1-18, Elsevier
- Interacting with Computers
- Belk, M., Fidas, C., Germanakos, P., Samaras, G. (2015). A personalized user authentication approach based on individual differences in information processing. Interacting with Computers, 27(6), 706-723, Oxford University Press
- Elsevier JSS
- Belk, M., Papatheocharous, E., Germanakos, P., Samaras, G. (2013). Modeling users on the world wide web based on cognitive factors, navigation behavior and clustering techniques. Journal of Systems and Software, Special Issue on Web 2.0 Engineering: New Practices and Emerging Challenges, 86(12), 2995-3012, Elsevier
- ACM UMAP 2018
- Constantinides, A., Belk, M., Fidas, C., Samaras, G. (2018). On cultural-centered graphical passwords: Leveraging on users’ cultural experiences for improving password memorability. ACM SIGCHI User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP 2018), ACM Press (to appear)
- ACM CHI 2018
- Katsini, C., Fidas, C., Raptis, G., Belk, M., Samaras, G., Avouris, N. (2018). Influences of human cognition and visual behavior on password security during picture password composition. ACM SIGCHI Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2018), ACM Press, paper 87
- ACM IUI 2018
- Katsini, C., Fidas, C., Raptis, G., Belk, M., Samaras, G., Avouris, N. (2018). Eye gaze-driven prediction of cognitive differences during graphical password composition. ACM SIGCHI Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI 2018), ACM Press, 147-152
- ACM WI 2017
- Belk, M., Pamboris, A., Fidas, C., Katsini, C., Avouris, N., Samaras, G. (2017). Sweet-spotting security and usability for intelligent graphical authentication mechanisms, ACM Web Intelligence (WI 2017), ACM Press, 252-259
- ACM UMAP 2017
- Raptis, G., Katsini, C., Belk, M., Fidas, C., Samaras, G., Avouris, N. (2017). Using eye gaze data and visual activities to infer human cognitive styles: method and feasibility studies, ACM User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP 2017), ACM Press, 164-173
- ACM CHI 2017
- Katsini, C., Fidas, C., Belk, M., Avouris, N., Samaras, G. (2017) Influences of users’ cognitive strategies on graphical password composition. ACM Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2017), ACM Press, 2698-2705
- ACM CHI 2015
- Fidas, C., Hussmann, H., Belk, M., Samaras, G. (2015). iHIP: Towards a user centric individual human interaction proof framework. ACM Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2015), ACM Press, 2235-2240
- ACM WI 2015
- Belk M., Germanakos P., Andreou P., Samaras G. (2015) Towards a human-centered e-commerce personalization framework, ACM Web Intelligence (WI 2015), ACM Press, 357-360
- IFIP INTERACT 2015
- Belk M., Germanakos P., Constantinides A., Samaras G. (2015) A human cognitive processing perspective in designing e-commerce checkout processes. IFIP TC13 Human-Computer Interaction (INTERACT 2015), Springer-Verlag, 523-530
- UMAP 2014
- Belk, M., Germanakos, P., Fidas, C., Samaras, G. (2014). A personalisation method based on human factors for improving usability of user authentication tasks. User Modeling, Adaptation, and Personalization (UMAP 2014), 13-24 (Best Paper Honourable Mention Award - top 3%)
- IFIP INTERACT 2013
- Belk, M., Fidas, C., Germanakos, P., Samaras, G. (2013). Security for diversity: Studying the effects of verbal and imagery processes on user authentication mechanisms. IFIP TC13 Human-Computer Interaction (INTERACT 2013), Springer-Verlag, 442-459
- UMAP 2013
- Belk, M., Germanakos P., Fidas C., Samaras G. (2013). Studying the effect of human cognition on user authentication tasks. Springer User Modeling, Adaptation, and Personalization (UMAP 2013), 102-113
- Springer SouthCHI 2013
- Belk, M., Germanakos, P., Fidas, C., Holzinger, A., Samaras, G. (2013). Towards the personalization of captcha mechanisms based on individual differences in cognitive processing. Springer Human Factors in Computing and Informatics (SouthCHI 2013), Springer-Verlag, 409-426 (Best Paper Award)
- ACM CHI 2012
- Belk, M., Fidas, C., Germanakos, P., Samaras, G. (2012). Do cognitive styles of users affect preference and performance related to captcha challenges?. ACM Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2012), ACM Press, 1487-1492
- HAAPIE 2016
- Germanakos, P., Belk, M., Samaras, G., Dimitrova, V. (2016). Workshop on Human Aspects in Adaptive and Personalized Interactive Environments (HAAPIE 2016), held in conj. with the ACM User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization Conference (UMAP 2016), Halifax, Canada, ACM Press
Participation in European- and National-funded Projects
SUCCESS (AAL-2016-089) (2016-2020)
- Description: SUCCESS aims to build an innovative mobile training application to support and accompany formal and informal caregivers to appropriately and effectively interact with people with dementia.
- Funding: European Union (AAL)
- Responsibilities: End-user recruitment. Preparation of deliverables and technical reports.
GrowMeUp (H2020-PHC-2014) (2015-2018)
- Description: GrowMeUp aims to build an affordable service robotic system that supports older adults during their daily life at home in staying active, independent and socially involved.
- Funding: European Union (Horizon 2020)
- Responsibilities: Worked on the design and development of the core database system and Web services for accessing the data of the system. Preparation of deliverables and technical reports.
CogniWin (AAL-2013-6-114): Cognitive Support for Older Adults at Work (2014-2016)
Description: CogniWin is an innovative system supporting and motivating older adults that work on computerized activities to remain active and productive by providing personalized learning assistance and well-being guidance.
Funding: European Union (AAL)
Responsibilities: Contributed to the proposal writing, responsible for the development of an intelligent user modelling component for identifying users’ task completion difficulty, frustration and stress by leveraging on physiological sensors that are embedded in an in-house developed computer mouse. Planning and conducting usability studies. Preparation of deliverables and technical reports.
Miraculous (FP7-ICT-2013-10): Miraculous-Life for Elderly Independent Living (2013-2016)
- Description: Miraculous-Life aims to build a virtual support partner that, by analogy to a real human partner, considers emotional understanding and responding to attend to the needs of older adults during their normal daily life activities.
- Funding: European Union (FP7)
- Responsibilities: Worked on user requirements’ elicitation and specification of the system’s components and services. Design and development of the system’s knowledge base. Preparation of deliverables and technical reports.
PersonaWeb (ΤΠΕ/ΠΛΗΡΟ/0311(ΒΙΕ)/10): Personalizing Generic Web Environments (2012-2015)
- Description: PersonaWeb aims to build and evaluate an adaptive interactive system for the dynamic adaptation and personalization of generic Web content based on human factors.
- Funding: Research Promotion Foundation Cyprus
- Responsibilities: Lead of the proposal, Scientist-in-Charge and Lead of Information System Architecture Design, Implementation and Evaluation. Supervised the activities of the research team (user researchers, designers, developers), planned and conducted user studies. Preparation of deliverables and technical reports.
SocialRobot (FP7-PEOPLE-2011-IAPP-285870): Social Robot to Support Elderly at Home (2011-2015)
- Description: An elderly care mobile robot platform that supports and stimulates people with light physical and/or cognitive disabilities by integrating state-of-the-art, standardized and interoperable robotic technologies and ICT-based care and wellness services.
- Funding: European Union (Marie Curie, FP7)
- Responsibilities: Worked on the user requirements’ elicitation and specification of personalized services for elderly individuals. Design and development of a relational database and Web services. Preparation of deliverables and technical reports.
The Smartag Framework for Adapting eCommerce Environments (2010-2012)
- Description: Smartag aims to build and evaluate an intelligent and adaptive E-Commerce system for seamlessly adapting E-Commerce activities to human cognitive styles.
- Funding: UCY Internal Funded Research Projects
- Responsibilities: Lead of the proposal. Lead of system design, implementation and evaluation. Planned and conducted user studies. Preparation of deliverables and technical reports.
Scientific Community Service
- Workshop Organizer of Human Aspects in Adaptive and Personalized Interactive Environments (HAAPIE 2016), in conjunction with ACM UMAP 2016
Program Committee member: AAAI ICWSM 2016, 2017, 2018
- Reviewer in journals: ACM Transactions on Internet Technology, Computers in Human Behavior, Interacting with Computers, Journal of Systems and Software, Journal of Information Security and Applications, International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, Artificial Intelligence Review, Journal of Web Engineering and Technology
External reviewer in conferences: ACM CHI, ACM UMAP, ACM IUI, IFIP INTERACT
- Microsoft Student Partner (MSP): Contact point between UCY students and Microsoft (2009-2011)
- Introduction to Programming and Problem Solving (Python programming language) (B.Sc.)
- Explorations into Computer Science (B.Sc.)
- Introduction to Computer Science, Practical Labs (B.Sc.)
- Web Application Development (M.Sc.), Module Leader
- Cyber Warfare (M.Sc.), Module Leader, Distance Learning
- Human-Computer Interaction (B.Sc.)
- Logic Programming and Artificial Intelligence (B.Sc.)
- Electronic and Distance Learning (M.Sc.)
- Programming Principles (B.Sc.)
- Programming Principles for Engineers (B.Sc.)
Ph.D. Thesis Supervision
- Argyris Constantinides: Cultural-centered Adaptive Graphical Passwords: Improving Password Security and Memorability based on Users’ Sociocultural Experiences – Ph.D. (at University of Cyprus) – Started Jan. 2018
B.Sc. Thesis Supervision
- Andreas Costi: Real-time Analysis and Visualization of Wearable Eye Tracking Data - B.Sc. (at University of Cyprus) - Completed: June 2018
- Kyriaki Theocharous: Incorporating Hot and Cold Cognition in Persuasive Technologies - B.Sc. (at University of Cyprus) – Expected: June 2018
- Georgia Kalli: Modeling Human Emotions based on Wearable Sensor Data - B.Sc. (at University of Cyprus) - Completed: June 2017
- Florentia Koronellou: A Management Tool for Defining Dynamic Rules for Adaptation and Personalization - B.Sc. (at University of Cyprus) - Completed: June 2016
- George Kakoullis: Human Factors and Behaviour in Social Networks - B.Sc. (at University of Cyprus) - Completed: June 2015
- Andreas Hadjidemetris: Implicit User Modelling of Users’ Cognitive Factors based on Web Navigation Behaviour - B.Sc. (at University of Cyprus) - Completed: June 2014
- Argyris Constantinides: Adapting Generic Web Environments – The case of PersonaWeb - B.Sc. (at University of Cyprus) - Completed: June 2014
- Marios Constantinides: Semantic Web Content Development Tool for Adaptive and Personalization Systems - B.Sc. (at University of Cyprus) - Completed: June 2012
© Marios Belk - Last Update: 13 October 2017